Published on February 22nd, 2013 | by hoteldepot82
The 30 Top Travel Blogs in India in 2013
Being in the travel blogging business, I wanted to know how many travel blogs are thriving currently, who they were, how they host it, when they started blogging, how much they blog etc. So sat down today and by googling, reading various blogs, forums and manually checking comments of fellow bloggers, I came up with this list of the 30 top travel blogs in India in 2013.
This is not exhaustive, certainly not scientific, nor have I declared any one a winner. The tables headings are sortable and so click on them to sort any way you like.
Some findings and inferences:
To Be A Top Blogger (based on top 5 bloggers as per Alexa ranking)
- Use WordPress
- Blog at least 5.26 times a week
- Be a woman!
- 60 percent of bloggers are women. Cmon guys!
- 66 percent of bloggers use Blogger/Blogspot. Understandably so as wordpress.com doesn’t allow Adsense on their hosted account.
- Blogs with high PR all started between 2003 and 2005 except one. Lesson – start early.
- Only one blog below the important 100,000 Alexa (Global) ranking!
- The city with the highest number of bloggers? Bangalore of course!
|Blog||Blogger Name||Platform||PR||Alexa||Alexa India||Post /Week||First Post|
|India Travel & Photography Blog||Arun Bhat||Wordpress||5||287272||48400||1.2||2003|
|Travel Tales from India||Mridula||Wordpress||4||80175||16688||7||2005|
|Anuradha Goyal Travels||Anuradha Goyal||Blogspot||4||442779||33065||1.4||2004|
|A wandering mind||Anu Shankar||Blogspot||4||528116||55724||7||2007|
|Just a little Something||Anita Bora||Wordpress||4||944584||112360||0.2||2003|
|Windy Skies||Anil P||Blogspot||4||1635443||154540||0.7||2004|
|My Yatra Diary||Arti||Blogspot||3||267543||28433||1.2||2009|
|Enidhi India||Shrinidhi Hande||Blogger||3||247719||32301||4.2||2006|
|The Shootng Star||Shivya Nath||Wordpress||3||244944||37821||1.4||2008|
|A travel blog of an Indian Backpacker||Lakshmi||Blogspot||3||353455||40367||1.9||2005|
|Be On The Road||Sankar CS||Wordpress||3||153620||51681||10.7||2009|
|The wandering soul’s wander tales||Neelima Vallangi||Blogger||3||679265||86286||0.9||2009|
|Travel Magic||Magic Eye||Blogspot||3||1078022||100079||-1||2007|
|i Share||Indrani Ghose||Blogspot||3||1152312||101521||4.7||2007|
|My Favourite Things||Sudhagee||Wordpress||3||610726||112786||-1||2010|
|Indian Bazaars||Kiran Keswani||Blogspot||3||2421320||226748||1.2||2006|
|The wanderer||Siddhartha Joshi||Blogger||3||1762745||999999||-1||2010|
|Shadows Galore||Puru and Ekta||Wordpress||2||159558||18637||3||2011|
|Tales of a Nomad||R Niranjan Das||Blogspot||2||907753||85091||0.7||2009|
|India Backpack motorbike||Venkat Ganesh||Wordpress||2||676267||98393||-1||2011|
|Aalayam Kanden||Priya Baskaran||Blogspot||2||1249481||130881||0.5||2010|
|Huchchara Santhe||Santosh BS||Blogspot||2||1283828||151839||1.2||2008|
|Treks And travels||Aravind GJ||Blogspot||2||2001393||221929||-1||2006|
|A Journey to discover exotic and mystic places||Kiran||Blogspot||2||2608960||999999||0.5||2007|
|The Gal Next Door||GalNextDoor||Wordpress||2||2915283||999999||-1||2011|
|Climber & Explorer||Anil Yadav||Blogspot||2||3514951||999999||-1||2008|
- The posts per week data was taken with the help of Google Reader, so I can’t vouch for the correctness.
- Due to some issue on the timestamp for some of the feeds, the post per week data could not be calculated and hence I have put a negative value (-1) for easy sorting.
- Some of the blogs do not have a country specific Alexa ranking and hence I had to put it as 999999 for easy sorting.
- I have excluded a lot of commercial travel blogs as I wanted this to be a purely a list of the independent personal bloggers.
- I have included blogs which are written by Indians and about travel in India predominantly.
- PR = Page Rank ( just something which Google conjured up. A high PR site doesnt necessarily mean the site is popular).
- Alexa Ranking was noted on 21st Feb 2013. Note that Alexa takes into account only a minuscule percentage of the web junta. Nonetheless, a good way to estimate the popularity of a site.
- I did not put any page view stats as it is hard to get a proper estimate and I guess it would be too intrusive as well.
- Most of the blogs using feedburner had subscribers count switched off, so it was useless to publish them.
- Update: As one reader rightly pointed out – there are no blogs which are in Hindi. Would surely create a new post on Hindi travel blogs shortly.
Two important points at the end:
- I apologize to anyone who feels that I have linked or mentioned his/her post without due permission. Please feel free to contact me here if you want to remove your blog from this list.
- If anyone feels that his/her blog needs to be amongst this list or any data is wrong, contact me or just comment!
Ciao! And do what you do best – blog away!